Business solar panels: benefits and points for attention
Are you thinking about installing business solar panels? But do you not know what all this entails? In this article we tell you everything about the benefits and things you should definitely pay attention to.
People Planet Profit
Sustainability is very important, also for entrepreneurs. You want to combine the needs of people, the planet and your profit in a harmonious way. In this way you meet your own needs and those of your customers, but you also ensure that the generations after you are not short of anything. Business solar panels are a great way to be sustainable and to take care of yourself.
Advantages of solar panels
By choosing solar energy, you help the planet and save on your monthly energy costs. Another important advantage is that you do not suffer from the price increase of fossil fuel when you generate your own energy. Moreover, solar panels have a long service life. The necessary subsidies and discounts are also available.
Solar panels as a self-employed person
Do you work from home? Then it is possible to have business solar panels installed on your home. Of course there are things that you have to comply with and that you have to take into account. For example, you must use at least 10 percent of your home for business purposes to designate your solar panels as business assets. If you use less than 10 percent for business purposes, then solar panels are always seen as private assets.
If the solar panels fall under your private assets, you may only deduct the energy yield that you use for business from your profit. Do you supply energy back to the energy company? Then this is also possible as an entrepreneur. Read more about this on the website of the tax authorities.
If solar panels fall under your business assets, you may be eligible for the KIA (small-scale deduction), EIA (energy investment deduction) and deduction of VAT:
- KIA: with this you can deduct an amount between 2,301 and 311,449 euros when you invest in company resources.
- EIA: this deduction determines that you can deduct a large part of your investment in solar panels from your operating profit. To be eligible, you must have a solar energy system of at least 25 kWp (Kilowatt peak), with a minimum connection of 3 x 80A.
- VAT: of course you can also just deduct the VAT from this investment.
Lease business solar panels
As an entrepreneur, I currently do not have enough money to to invest in sun poles? Then there is also the possibility to lease them. The advantages of this are obvious: you do not have to make a large investment and you do not have to worry about maintenance either. Furthermore, the advantages and disadvantages depend on the type of lease you choose. There are the following options:
- Rent where you purchase the electricity generated.
- Rent where you do not purchase the electricity generated.
- Rent for a specific time.
- Free take-over of the solar panels after a number of years (usually 15 or 20 years).
- Take-over of the solar panels at market value after a number of years (usually 15 or 20 years).
Since it concerns very different contracts, the conditions - and the prices - vary considerably.
Please note: make sure before the start of the lease it is clear who is responsible for what. This must also be clearly and clearly recorded in writing. Be sure to take responsibility for the following things:
- In the event of damage to the building or adjacent buildings due to a detached solar panel.
- In the event of a fire caused by the solar panels or associated installation.
- Also clearly state what happens if the leasing party goes bankrupt.
Financing business solar panels
A third option besides buying and leasing is to finance business solar panels. That way you also immediately have all the benefits of renewable energy, without having to invest.
Take a good look at all the options and what suits you and your situation best. Before you make a final decision, it is very wise to discuss everything once with a tax adviser or accountant, to clarify the opportunities and risks.