The way Google views your site is per Monday 27 October 2014 thoroughly changed. If you don't do anything with this, you run the risk of losing your search positions in Google and therefore visitors. And with it turnover. So what has Google changed and how do you fix it?
How Google sees your website
Google now looks like a user
Robots.txt for Googlebot
Do I have a Robots.txt?
That is a good question. More people should be asking that! Here's the fastest way:Go to your website. Such as www.bloeise.nl. In the address bar after the URL, type: /robots.txt. Then you get www.bloeise.nl/robots.txt Press enter.
YES, you can do this for any website. Also for Google itself: www.google.nl/robots.txt.
Check Google Webmaster Tools
Does the above not work? Do not panic.
- Enter Google Webmaster Tools to your website. Have you not set up GWT yet? View my Google Webmaster Tools manual.
- Go to links in the menu on the left crawl and then to Fetch as Google.
- Leave the URL field blank and leave type set to Desktop. Just press Get and Display.
Now go and update Facebook, check your mail or get a cup of coffee.
- Google ready? You have the option 'submit to index'. However, you click on / under URL
Fetch as Google
You will then be shown how Googlebot sees your site. Example:
In the first column is the URL, in the 2nd column the type, in the third the reason, then possibly robots.txt tester.
Don't you have your yet robots.txt seen? click on the link robots.txt tester or go to the menu in Google Webmaster Tools crawl and then to robots.txt tester. You can now immediately see how Google reads your robots.txt file.
Modify robots.txt to allow JS and CSS
The steps to give Google access to JS and CSS now are as follows:
- Use Fetch as Google as described above.
- Does the preview look good to a user? Then Google sees it right too.
- Doesn't it look good? Then go through the rules one by one on the Robots.txt link behind it and edit Robots.txt and click to send to click. Check after each line whether the adjustment makes the example readable.
Now you have fixed the problem for Google. For now, other search engines don't look at CSS or JS yet. Read about it here all the possibilities of robots.txt.
Are you stuck? Forward this blog to your own webmaster / web builder with the Share buttons under this blog. This is covered by a service contract, but if you paid once for creating your website and then no more, your web builder can count on the time it takes to adjust. That really can't be more than an hour, depending on your website, cms and knowledge of the web builder.Just a warning!!!!! (5 exclamation marks!!!!) When you edit Robots.txt, make sure you don't use disallow / let alone. Then you tell Googlebot: you are not allowed to view the entire site. Your entire site will then no longer be crawled by Googlebot and therefore no longer shown in Google search.
Robots.txt for WordPress: set /wp-content/ to allow
Keep up with your website
You have to keep up with a website. Just like a car or a house. If you don't do that, your website may suddenly stop ranking in Google, your traffic will decrease and so will your turnover. Bloeise helps you keep up.