To get your website found in Google, you do it Search Engine Optimazation (SEO). SEO is a combination of technology, good quality content and a strong link profile. Every link to your website counts as one vote. The more votes you have collected for a website, the higher your website will be in the search results. But the link of a Nu.nl is much more valuable than that of your local hockey club. Unless you are a local sports store. In this article we look at the MozRank, which indicates the value of your link profile.
The hockey club example is about the 'knowledge domain'. The link must come from a similar domain: in subject, region, target group or solution. But that is not the only difference between the left. For example, a link on an online business directory is less valuable than a link from a supplier. That's because that online business directory has fifty links, and that supplier is only a handful. The original figure that Google gave, the PageRank, has not been used for years. Moz jumped into that gap with his MozRank. What does MozRank indicate?
What is MozRank?
MozRank represents the popularity of a website page. The MozRank of a page is based on the pages that refer to that page and the MozRank of those pages. The higher the MozRank of the linking pages, the higher the MozRank of the page itself.
MozRank gives a score of 0 to 10 on a logarithmic scale. This means that it is much easier to improve your MozRank from 2 to 3 than from 7 to 8 for example. The MozRank itself consists of: Domain Authority for the domain (so your website default url such as bloeise.nl), and Page Authority for the specific page (so for example bloeise.nl/events)
MozRank only gives you an explanation
Before you continue reading about improving the MozRank: it only provides an image. By definition, that image will not give the full image. Open Site Explorer from Moz does not show all links to your site. For that, Moz would have to crawl the entire internet, just like Google, and their business model is not. Even with a low MozRank, your site can, for example, run at its best. But what the MozRank does is give a starting point if you notice that your site is not doing well in Google. It is a meter on which you can see: this could be the explanation. We need to get more inbound links from popular websites.
The technical side behind MozRank: The MozRank (mR) is calculated by viewing the "votes" (left) on each page. This is then used to run an iterative (recurring) algorithm that determines the MozRank score (as a Domain authority or Page Authority).
How do you find the MozRank?
Two ways to quickly find the MozRank:
- Go to Moz Open Site Explorer. Enter your domain or page here. Note: the use is limited. You will soon be asked to create a free account.
- Use the Moz Toolbar for Chrome or Firefox. This is a plugin for your browser that you can turn on and off. It provides all kinds of information about the page you are viewing and the links that are on it. In Google it sets the MozRank standard. Note: Sometimes the Moz Toolbar blocks certain functions on a page, especially pull-down menus in WordPress. Turn the Toolbar off when you are not using it.
This is how you improve the MozRank of your website
There are different ways to improve the MozRank of your website. Adding links to a website with a high MozRank is one of these: link building. But websites will refuse to add a link to your website without consideration. Every website owner knows them: compliment emails with link requests. In addition, it is important that the website on which your link is placed is relevant to your own website. Non-relevant links usually receive a lesser rating, which means you get less. Below we give three tips for increasing your MozRank.
- Write a guest blog for a website: One of the options you have is writing a guest blog for websites. In this way you offer another website free content. In the guest blog you can process a link to your website under a keyword of your choice. Keep in mind that some websites have certain requirements guest blogs set. Consider the keyword density, the length and the writing style of the article. And above all: make it valuable. No SEO articles will make anyone happy.
- Write a testimonial for a party: As an alternative to writing a guest blog, you could write a testiomonial. In a testimonial you describe what your experiences are with a specific party. It is interesting for this party to be able to post positive experiences on their website. And of course you will get a link back.
- Spread a press release: Making new is a profession. Therefore outsource coming up with and writing your press release, otherwise you will soon get a We-of-toilet-duck story. Studies, finds, announcements, sharp analyzes and trends are interesting to place on your website. A press release in your field with a link to your website provides valuable links.
- Purchase qualitative links: Pay close attention when purchasing links: verify that the DA and PA of the purchased links are higher than those of your own website. Read more about the dangers and opportunities of outsource link building.