A website is like a house that is for sale. Technology provides the foundation, content for the design, and marketing is the way you exactly sell the house. Do you want your online recruitment website or work-by-page make it work optimally? Then take these seven issues into consideration. For the visitors, but also for you. You must be able to work with the website easily, so that updating a vacancy, for example, does not cost you hours. These are technical requirements for the website builder with the corresponding arguments from HR.
1. The website must work on the mobile
Everyone has a smartphone. Your website is therefore increasingly visited via the smartphone, in many branches already for more than 50%. Does your site not work well mobile? Then potential candidates quickly click on again. Look further than just a mobile version of the site, because the use is very different. For example, you cannot easily prepare a neat motivation letter and send it via a smartphone.
- Make sure your website also works well for mobile traffic (responsive design).
- Give mobile visitors the opportunity to easily save the vacancy so that they can respond later via a desktop or laptop.
- Be cautious about having a video start unsolicited. Certainly on the road, for example on the train, direct sound is undesirable.
2. The website must be fast
Three seconds. If a mobile website has not yet been loaded, then research by Google 53% of the visitors leaves the website again. It gives a wrong image of the company and it also negatively influences your search engine positions. Google values slow websites less than fast websites.
- Compare your website with that of the competitor. Or with a large national party that is doing well, such as a Hema, Coolblue or KPN.
- Do you want to provide a substantiated substantiation? Point out your website builder PageSpeed Insights. Every website gets a speed rating with technical tips to increase it.
3. The website must be findable
You prefer to attract your candidates on your own website. That is why you need options in the content management system (CMS) to keywords to give. Such as the combination function + location, for example IT manager Alkmaar, because people look for that.
- Typical fields that you want to be able to adjust: title, slug (for the URL), image file name and alt image of an image. Also use the keyword in the headline and in the text.
- Do you use WordPress? The free Yoast plugin provides many tools for increasing findability.
4. Vacancies must be searchable
Visitors want to see relevant vacancies immediately. For this, they want to be able to search by keywords, departments, contract forms and locations.
- The main thing is that visitors quickly see vacancies that are relevant to them. With a smaller number you can also do that with a logical structure.
- For larger numbers, an internal search function is desirable. Very interesting: you can also have the queries entered by potential candidates measured (for example with Google Analytics). This way you learn what your visitors are looking for and you can ensure better answers.
5. You can directly post job openings on job search engines
Of course you can create accounts on job sites and manually post your jobs there. But do you want to reach many potential candidates quickly without too much trouble? Then look at one vertical and multiposter coupling on your website. Your vacancies are automatically transferred to job platforms such as Indeed, Jobrapido, Jobbird, Jobsonline.nl, Mituala or Trovit.
- The point is that the job vacancies that you post on your own website are continued without manual actions on job sites. The technology behind it is called an 'XML link'.
6. You can streamline vacancy responses
At a small company with a few vacancies it doesn't matter how the responses come in. However, do you have vacancies per department and a distinction between starters, interns and professionals? Then you want every response to go to the right vacancy holder.
- Another e-mail address per form already helps enormously in streamlining, as does the possibility to adjust forms per situation.
- Do you have extensive selection procedures in which a large number of applicants respond? Then delve into one Application Tracking System. With this you automate correspondence (acknowledgment of receipt, rejection, invite) and you can search efficiently in an internal database (talent pool) before you decide to advertise.
7. You can easily add content
You do not want to have to engage the website builder for every new job opening. It is none new website? With a good CMS you can easily add, adjust or remove a page or vacancy. See if you can also easily copy pages if, for example, the vacancy pages have a fixed field.
Getting started with online recruitment?
These 7 tips are just the start. Download the free e-book directly Found it! 43 online recruitment tips for website, content and social media. Leave your telephone number if you are interested in our service.