Your employees don't just spend their time on a few tasks. They spend their hours in activities that are meaningful to your company. But, do you actually know exactly where they spend their time? Time registration of your employees is very important! It is also important that you register your own hours. How so? You can read that here.
What is the purpose of time registrations?
The word register actually says enough to explain exactly what we mean by time registrations. The hours of everyone in your company are registered. However, it's about much more than just clocking in and out at the beginning and at the end of the day. You want to know what your employees are working on all day and you want to create an overview of where you spend your precious hours all day long.
Benefits of timesheets
Registering hours almost only brings benefits. Such advantages are for example:
- More insight into projects
- You can identify what project teams spend the most time on
- You can make decisions based on data that better suit the workflow
- More insight into which resources are used
- Find out how changes in team structure or team size affect project progress.
- Placing responsibility with the right people
- Team members and project managers can see how employees spend their time and help them improve it
- Make decisions based on data
- Real-time insight into the progress of projects
- Identify value flows
- Back up your recruitment requests.
- Financial management:
- Know how organizational activities affect numbers below the line by differentiating between different capitals and operating costs.
- Use the data from the time sheet for keeping the accounts.
- Manage customer accounts:
- Real-time information about billable time for your customers.
- Know immediately if your projects are over budget.
- Tracking operational costs
- Track depreciation
Time registration culture
If your company has so far paid little or no attention to registering hours, it can be difficult to enter this now. Encouraging and implementing the time tracking tool doesn't have to be top down. Research has shown that top-down (that is, management receives an assignment that the employees have to execute) implementing an hour registration system is only counterproductive. It will have to be a process to achieve a better work-life balance. If everyone understands the importance of such a registration program, the transition will go much smoother. It is therefore easier to make progress.
Rather than simply handing over a tool to project teams and making it clear to all team members that this tool should be used, it is much more efficient to explain the benefits that everyone can get from registering hours. If there are teams that are pushed too hard or projects that are always out of budget, this does not lead to a constructive, positive or relaxed working environment. Knowing what we do and what is expected of us helps everyone to stay on schedule. As a result, people also get the feeling that they are using their talents. Keeping has developed time tracking software that supports you in managing the hours of your employees.
Guest blog by Keeping